Lockdown is a time when you can often find yourself undecided. You are bored with Netflix or sick of reading or can’t possibly have ‘another’ beer (yes, there are no children in this household). This sort of indecision often leads me to foray into the lesser used kitchen cupboards.
Now lockdown has also allowed me to rediscovered my CD collection. Much to the angst of my neighbours. Beer and Dire Straits, what can I say ??
When that perfect album is playing you don’t have time to be ‘messing around in the kitchen’. What do you do when you need a little something sweet to keep you going during all these activities ?
The obvious of course, you lean on the Google search algorithms and troll the net for something delicious yet really quick to make. Despite the fact we are in lockdown and have nothing better to do.
I recently discovered microwave mug cakes. Who knew about this little gem ???? Not me !!!
Have a crack at this recipe.
- 4 tbsp self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 medium egg
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil or sunflower oil
- a few drops of vanilla essence
- Add 1 medium egg, sugar milk and oil together. Add to the biggest mug you have or a dessert bowl so it doesn’t overflow. Because I dont have any time to clean the microwave.
- Add the self-raising flour, cocoa powder/ milo /ovaltine.
- Continue to whisk until well mixed.
- Put the mug / bowl in the very centre of the microwave and ‘nuke’ on High for 1½ -2 mins, or until it has stopped rising and is firm to the touch.
- Now for the hard part, wait a minute or two before consuming with ice cream or whipped cream.
You can use different flavour essences like peppermint, almond and coco nut. Add ingredients like chocolate pieces and dried fruits. Endless variety.
In conclusion, all I can say is…
at least we get two hours walking a day.
If you have something to share please send it in to